Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Dogvan

Soon to be the DawgHaus


Old machinery is a great love for me. I usually admire other people's rolling stock and wish I could do the same. Well, times have changed and I have just picked up for free a "slightly used" 1964 Dodge A100 compact van. This beast was bought originally by Caltech, Palomar Mountain Observatory as the Painters truck, and as I work there and showed interest in it, it was given to me.
The van is mostly straight, with 2 small dents on the passenger side, and no rust other than some surface rust that will sand off easily. Interior is spartan as this was a work truck. Seats are shot and I am going to attempt to find junk-yard replacements for them with modern shoulder belts.
Mechanically very strong with a venerable Dodge Slant 6 170CI engine and a 3 speed Manual "3 on the tree" transmission. All works great, and was rebuilt from Mopar factory parts and a .10 over bore.

My intent for the exterior will be the Rat-Rod look, shaved body, Nerf bars, shiny rims and some sort of a graphic down the body to break up the slab side.

A note on the name Dogvan. When Bruce gave me the pink slip his wife Dana was mad that it went to someone she knew as she does not want it back. She called it the Dogvan not knowing my nickname is Dawg... That's Karma for you, the Dogvan becomes Dawg's van...

The list:
First thing is get all the paint buckets out
Remove bumpers
Remove the interior cage: It has a very heavy steel divider between the front and back.
Remove and replace or rebuild seats
Pull the roof rack and set aside and eventually rebuild it flat for gear instead of 3 ladders.
Go through it mechanically and swap all fluids, going to check brakes, bearings and tie rods, water pump, wiring.
Paint interior and build in a bed, a cabinet, and some sort of an extra seat. Thinking of a cj back seat and making some sort of quick release so I can toss it out the door when camping.
Somewhere along the way I will get some shiny rims for it.
Body work: Get the dents out, just two! Wet sand and prime and pick a two-tone paint job.

I intend to get all the mechanical and interior work done before Burning Man, 2010 and also finish the rack so I can throw a genny on the roof and run AC for the drive.

Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment